With the tennis season starting to hot up as summer approaches, we thought it might be a good idea to look at one of the sport’s biggest names and try and find out what they can teach us about… business!
What can a tennis ace teach us about business?
Novak Djokovic is the number 1 ranked male tennis player in the world and in the last few years he’s taken the tennis world by storm by winning Wimbledon and beating nearly everyone that faces him.
So, what business lessons can we learn from Novak Djokovic? Here are 5 to get you started:
1. Know Yourself Better than your Competitors
- Focus on your own game
- Don’t waste too much energy looking at what others are doing
- Work on improving your own skills and attributes
2. Refine and Improve your Techniques
- There’s always room for improvement
- Nobody (including top football stars like Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronanldo) get good overnight. It takes practice, practice… and more practice!
- Novak Djokovic rose to the top of the world rankings through hard work and dedication
3. Keep Focused on Your Goals
- Ignore internal resistance and external doubters and concentrate on the goals you want to achieve
- Have a combination of long-term, ambitious goals as well as short-to-medium term targets
- Make your objectives SMART – Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely
4. Cracking a Competitive Niche
- Despite Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal’s dominance, Djokovic broke into this competitive niche by focusing on his game and finding an edge over his rivals
- It’s important to have self-belief and to focus on what you need to do to break into a competitive niche
- What can you offer different to the incumbents?
- Sometimes dominant businesses can become complacent. Be aware of this and take advantage
5. Practice Makes Perfect
- Perfect practice makes perfect. Practice in the correct way so that you can hone the right skills needed to be number one
- Mistakes happen but the important thing is to learn from them
- Consider point number 2: Refine and Improve your Techniques